Friday, November 13, 2015

I call him Mr. Clutch

October 21, 2015

Howdy, 

Everything lately has been Gucci. Life is great! 
Companion exchange with Elder Unice from Pleasant Grove, Utah. 
Good kid. Good kid.

In other news, I'm going to be starting a new segment in my emails called "that kind of guy". Sorry if it sounds fruity. I will try to come up with a better name later. Basically I'm just going to describe my companion with a brief sentence or two. First one is: 

-My companion is the kind of guy that finishes his sticks of Chapstick without losing them. I call him Mr. Clutch. 

Elder Buckley and I were walking down the street when we passed a street. Elder Buckley said that he had a good feeling about the street. We went and looked down the street. It was a street that I had never been down before but it was glowing. Kinda of the same way that people say how members of our church have a "glow" about them. It sounds weird but it was no joke. We went down the street with no clue why we were there other than we knew we felt good about it. 

We looked in our trusty area book app and the only person that we had on the street was a former investigator. We decided that checking them out was a good start. We knocked the apartment door and someone answered and told us that the person we were looking for had moved a while ago. We told her that we were missionaries, she told us that she wasn't interested. Elder Buckley, who can be as blunt as a kick in the shins said,"Do you even know what we believe? Because you wouldn't deny our message if you knew. Could we explain a little more of what we believe so you can know what you are rejecting?" On the inside I was like,"Oooooh kill em." She told us that she had no clue what we believed and she gave us a chance. In a couple minutes we gave her an explanation about Christ setting up his church and a modern day prophet. By the time we were done she had told us that we could come back and teach her and her family. It was nuts.
Zone Activity! Roasting marshmallows at the patch of dirt
behind the church is about as close to nature as you can get out here. 
Eating a golden mallow with my golden Texan roommate    
Joseph our Vietnam Veteran investigator is getting baptized this Saturday! He is a golden investigator if I've ever met one. We are super pumped for that. #GetHype

Lemme leave you with a quote that hit me hard when I read it, right where it counts.... The heart. “Service is not something we endure on this earth so we can earn the right to live in the celestial kingdom. Service is the very fiber of which an exalted life in the celestial kingdom is made." Elder M. Russell Ballard

Sometimes I grudgingly do things thinking that by doing it I will be better off in the end cuz I have earned brownie points or something. But that's not good. The whole point of serving and keeping the commandments is not so that we can earn heaven, rather it is so we can learn heaven.

-Elder Tyler J Johanson


No comments:

Post a Comment