Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Meeting My Godfather

Hola mi Gorditos,
 
Last P-Day my zone had a wonderful volleyball tournament. Volleyball is my jam. I spiked the ball like it was an unmonitored Christmas punch. Kizzy Willey style. It was legendary. JK my district took last place in the standings... Last in the standings, but number one in your hearts.

My Zone

I went on a split with Elder Schoenfeld in my district. I spent the day in his area, Yonkers. The city of Yonkers is an interesting city. The feeling that you get as the name "Yonkers" comes out of your mouth is a lot like how you feel as you walk the streets. It was a great time. Elder Schoenfeld is a very consecrated missionary. I have a lot that I can learn from him.

A couple of weeks ago Elder Burton and I were walking down Manhattan (Avenue. The street, not the actual city) and we saw a house with a slab of rock. On the rock was painted the words, "God answers prayers". We liked the rock so we decided to knock on their door and tell them that we appreciated it. We approached the door like we do every other door... Caucasian and sweaty.

*knock knock*

Nothing. We wrote a note that basically said how we were missionaries from our church and that we like the rock and they should give us a call. 

This is the rock that stirred Elder Burton and I to knock on Godfather Milton’s door.

A couple weeks later we were in the same area and we decided to stop by their door again. We again approached the door Caucasian and sweaty. This time when we knocked however, an over joyous African American woman said, "Elders!" and greeted us like we were old friends. We talked to her and she wasn't too interested but was very nice and kind. We were able to give her a Book of Mormon and she said she would get around to reading it. She said we could come back anytime. Flash forward another week or so. We were in the area again, so we stopped by. The nice lady’s husband came out and started talking to us. This guy is a Vietnam vet that doubles as a famous Saxaphone player that played with Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, and Eric Clapton. He has played for President Obama, Donald Trump, and at the Apollo Theater. Fancy Pants. We talked with Him for an hour about life and how he came to find God. He said we were welcome back anytime, so yesterday Elder Burton and I went back. He gave us water and we sat on his porch and we talked about God. He is a very wise man and he told us about his experiences in Vietnam and what we need to do when we meet/teach people about Jesus. Everything this guy was telling us was true doctrine. He is the coolest man. He was telling us about how after only meeting with us for a couple hours he considers us his sons. He said we can call him GodFather Milton and if we ever need anything, he can bail is out. I've always wanted a GodFather and now I have him! I will try to send pics of us sometime.

Sunday was a beautiful day. We had an investigator and two less actives at church! The most I've been blessed to see in this area is one investigator at church. Elder Burton and I have been working hard with less actives and investigators to get them to come to church. Attending church is where we can receive revelation for ourselves. Many people in life wonder why they're lost and don't know what to do but don't realize that by going to church you're putting yourself in a position to let God help you. Consistent church attendance is crucial because it shows God that you're willing to go out of your way to come closer to Him.

-Elder Tyler J Johanson

Romans 1:16
Alma 26:12

No comments:

Post a Comment