Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I Met Richard Simmons

Salutations,

I am happy that I can write to you safely this  P-day.
For this last week it rained in an inexhaustible way.
It poured so much that we received warnings for floods.
I prayed so hard for sun, my knees and the floor are now best buds.
It's hard enough as it is to drive in New York when it's clear.
Throw in the rain and suddenly I drive like I've drunken beer.
But do not worry, we have remained safe and sound.
Now as I write, the sun is beginning to shine on the ground.
I realize this poem is getting corny and kind of lame.
But I think my companion reading over my shoulder is to blame.

So ya. It rained quite a bit this last week. When it rains on the East Coast, it pours.


On top of the rain, the work has been kind of slow this last week because everybody in Scarsdale leaves for the summer to go on vacation or what not. The best part of the week was that I was able to see one of my Priesthood Heroes, my home teacher, Brother David Norton from home! He was doing business in the White Plains area and so he got permission to come and say hello. He was kind enough to take Elder Brown and I out for lunch. He was introducing us to a bunch of people in there, telling them what we do as missionaries. I don't know what got into him (probably The Spirit) but he was as fired up about missionary work as I have ever been! Our meeting was short but the time spent with Brother Norton was great. I thought that seeing him would maybe make me miss home or something but all it did was pump me up even more!

My Priesthood hero, Brother Norton and I!

Today for P-Day we had a zone activity. The Zone Leaders received permission from President Morgan to watch The Saratov Approach. I love that movie. Of course I already knew what happens because I saw that movie come out but it was still good. It was hilarious to see all the missionaries that have been out forever watch that movie as if it was their firstborn child. Now all the missionaries are going around quoting the movie, freaking out about how good it is. Don't get me wrong, it is a good movie but for some of the older missionaries that have been distanced from media for a while, they are treating it like it’s the greatest movie ever. The Saratov Approach is good but come on.... It's no Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants! (Am I right guyz?!?!)

Fun fact: We looked up a former investigator named Richard Simmons. Richard Simmons. Richard. Simmons.


Snapped this rubbish right outside of Richard Simmons apartment.

Yesterday Elder Brown and I were supposed to teach an online Facebook lesson to a recent convert who has essentially been struggling with the question of, "why do bad things happen to good people?" He juked us so we didn't get to share our wisdom that we studied up on so I would like to share a quote with you about that topic. Why do bad things happen to good people? "There are many kinds of challenges. Some give us necessary experiences. Adverse results in this mortal life are not evidence of lack of faith or of an imperfection in our Father in Heaven’s overall plan. The refiner’s fire is real, and qualities of character and righteousness that are forged in the furnace of affliction perfect and purify us and prepare us to meet God."-Elder Neil L. Andersen

I love you guys. You know what they say, slow motion is better than no motion so keep it moving.

-Elder Tyler "'Twas the night before Christmas" Johanson


P.S. It's Elder Johanson's birthday on August 2nd (which is in about 2 weeks). If you'd like to send him something, his mailing address is on the sidebar!

No comments:

Post a Comment