Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Week 5

Hola everybody,

Wanna hear something cool? I live in The Bronx. It's crazy. Crazy things happen every single day, I wish I had enough time to share them with you all.

First off, this last week was Valentines Day. Just because I'm a missionary/single doesn't mean it's still not one of my favorite holidays. Our ward had a Valentines party which was off the chain. They were playing Michael Jackson and everybody was singing and dancing and the missionaries were standing awkwardly in the corner because we aren't supposed to dance. Do you know how hard it is to hear Michael Jackson and not be able to sing OR dance?! It was basically the equivalent of what outer darkness is going to feel like.

This last week I went on a split with Elder Davidson (from American Fork, zone leader, my roomie) and we went and taught a lady that dated a guy that's brothers with a Harlem Drug lord. He is so infamous they
have a movie about him. American Gangster with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe... I don't know what it's rated but if it's anything like she explained her past to be like I wouldn't watch it. So ya... That's the kind of people we deal with here. But the good news is she passed her baptismal interview and is going to get baptized this Saturday! She is such a nice lady.

Today I went to the Manhattan temple. It's basically the Rolls Royce of temples. Very nice and elegant. After that we spent a few hours in the city walking around stores and went and got food at The Shake
Shack (also the Rolls Royce of burger joints). I saw some white people in Manhattan so that was cool I guess. I had been forgetting what they looked like.

I want to bear my testimony of how crucial constant prayer and scripture reading are. We teach a lot of less actives and in just about every case if they had been praying and reading their scriptures frequently they would still have a strong testimony. The reason it's so important is because it is how we have a testimony of Heavenly Father. When we need to talk to God, you pray. When you need an answer, you read your scriptures. Those two things are very powerful and can strengthen your testimony immensely.

Keep on keeping on back in the 801 (or wherever you may be) And don't do anything I wouldn't do!

-Elder Tyler J Johanson

No comments:

Post a Comment