Monday, December 29, 2014

Who Does That?

How you doourn?

We had our mission Christmas party. This is the only time that the whole entire mission comes together. We all met in the middle of the mission at the Ossining chapel. Elder Torgersen and I were asked to go pick missionaries from the city up at the train station to bring them to the chapel. I was able to drive with Elder Gleason and Elder Smith the two Spanish elders I lived with when I served in Scarsdale! The Christmas party was legit. We had a music program where missionaries sang songs and such. President and Sister Morgan spoke. It was a jolly holiday. Then we had lunch with the whole mission and they had a slideshow filled with pictures taken throughout the year by missionaries. It came and ended so quick. It was the cats pajamas to be able to see all of the friends that I have made within the past 11 months. I was able to see people I haven't seen since I came out. I saw old companions and old leaders. The only bad part was after we left, I got all depressed because some of the people there I may never see again because they will be going home soon. :(
Sweater Weather with Elder Torgersen
It's been really hard to meet with people lately. It seems like we have been doing a lot of errand running for ourselves and other missionaries and we haven't been able to teach much. The good news is that The He Is The Gift video is working like gold. Missionaries will go out and knock on people's doors and ask if they want to watch the video on our iPads and people love it! New investigators have always been a challenge for missionaries to get in our mission but this last week every companionship in the zone has been blessed with a new investigator. That never happens, it's pretty exciting! #HeIsTheGift if you don't know now you know. 

Fun fact: I need a Chiropractor now. 

We went and taught our homeboy Alex again. The guy who is in training to become a monk at the monastery. This time instead of teaching the lesson out in the woods we went into his little shack cabin thing. He offered us some tea but we politely declined because we ain't about that life. We sat down around this really short table and instead of sitting down on chairs he had little bean bag pillows. We sat cross legged on the pillow. Apparently there is a special way to sit on the chairs so your back supports itself and he tried to teach us buuuuuuuut I don't think I did it right because now my whole body is sore from sitting on that Buddhist pillow. The lesson was an hour and a half. Other than my body being in pain the lesson went great. He is a guy that has a lot of desire. He does a lot of pondering and meditation so he puts himself in a position to be able to feel the still small voice of the Spirit. He is progressing the only concerns he has are with the Book of Mormon when Nephi is commanded to slay Laban... He is a Buddhist so he is all about peace and harmony, guess that didn't sit well with him. He is an interesting guy to teach, I wish we could film the lessons with him and show you. It's an adventure. 

Today for P day we made the trek to the city. The city is legit this time of year! We went to Times Square and saw the He Is The Gift billboards.
District Photo with #HeIsTheGift
It was cool to see the church that I represent hit the big time. What church puts an ad up in Times Square?? Who does that?? We do ;)    

After checking out Times Square we went and checked out Rockefeller Center and saw a fatty Christmas tree.
Ooooooh look at the tree on that one
Then we hit up Steak n Shake and ate it in Central Park. Now as I type this email I'm sitting in my favorite place in NYC. I'm in the chapel at the temple. I sure love the city. I don't think I could ever live here long term but I would be so down to serve here for a couple months. Christmas is almost here and I'm freaking out! I love it. Have a good one.

Elder Tyler Johanson

No comments:

Post a Comment