Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Transfers

Dear people,

I have some bad news... I got the call last week and was told that I am being transferred out of The Bronx upstate juss a lil bit to
Scarsdale. I am really super bummed. My homeboy Elder Schneider is going to be training a new missionary. It is a real shame that I was only able to spend one cycle (6 weeks) with him. Like I said, I will be going to Scarsdale. What I know about Scarsdale is that it is where the mission home is located. I will be serving in President Morgan’s ward.  I will get a car with air conditioning which will be nice because walking around these last few weeks in the city have been both hot and humid. I can't imagine what going through a full- fledged summer would be like. Scarsdale is apparently supa rich. Also, there will be lots of white people which will be weird. I don't think I fully remember how to talk to them... Leaving The Bronx has been hard. I didn't contemplate how attached I would grow to the people. When I first came in, I was thinking of all the ways that I could strengthen the ward. Now as I am leaving, I am realizing that the ward here has done way more for me than I could ever do for it.

My new companion’s name is Elder Brown, he has been out just 6 weeks. I will be finishing off his training. I'm kind of nervous because I feel like I don't know enough yet to be with a missionary that has been out less than me. But everybody keeps assuring me that although I don't know everything, I know enough. I will let you all know about how cool he is next week.

Elder Schneider and I, since this was our last week here, decided to work ridiculously hard and have buckets of fun. We accomplished both.

Work: Elder Schneider and I have had a goal since the first week he got here to get 10 lessons in a week from solely street contacting. We have come close a couple of times but never quite hit it. Sunday, we made a goal that we wanted to get 10 this week even though I was leaving. As we went out and worked, God blessed us with 8 people on the streets that stopped and listened to our message. We have been able to teach 8 lessons in two days just from talking to people on the street. Even though we didn't reach 10, I am hoping that Elder Schneider and his new companion will be able to get at least 2 more lessons the rest of this week to accomplish our goal.

We had an APF (area proselyting focus) activity with the zone this last week. Some of the Spanish Elders went out and bought a huge piece of plywood. They painted the plywood to look like a Book of Mormon. We had an 8 foot tall Book of Mormon and we went out to Fordham Square and set up a little stand. All 24 of the missionaries went out in our zone, and for an hour and a half, attempted to talk to as many people as possible. By the end of the hour and a half/two hour period, as a zone, we placed 65 copies of The Book of Mormon and taught close to 50 lessons on the street.


Our zone APF with our massive Book of Mormon

We looked up loads of less actives in da projects.

Fun: This whole cycle we have been together, Elder Schneider and I have wanted to have an authentic Bronx meal. We went to Kennedy Fried Chicken (a staple here in the beautiful Bronx) and bought fried chicken, biscuits and made a big ole pitcher of Kool Aid. It was delicious.


Fried Chicken Selfies for dayzz

Our district (10 of us) had a district lunch yesterday to end the cycle. At the lunch, we had a rap battle!! I will include my part of the rap at the end of this letter so you can see my fresh rhymes.

Preparing for our rap battle

We hung out in the projects doing less active look ups. I wish you could see the stuff that goes on down there.

Like I have mentioned many times, I am sad to chuck up the deuce to The Bronx but I am excited to see the work in store for me in Scarsdale. I love you guys a ton!! Thanks for the support.

Elder Tyler "That's My Story & I'm Sticking To It" Johanson

P.S. Here's my verse in the rap battle:


M-I- double S I-O to the Nary
My words cut like sharp cheddar and it's bouta get scary
Praying that sister Lopez will digest this dairy
Lets form a line and buzz our heads it's gonna get hairy

It goes Schneider, Griffiths and this dood named Kia
No questions aksed his name is an Onomatopoeia
After that we have Elders Cameron, Tyler and Tyler two
We got bap dates in every city from here to Peru

Tryna burn some bosoms out here left and right
Together as a district we've all reached a new height
Like unto a dish I would consider us tight
Start up the engines cuz we about to take flight

Out here they have dunkin donuts, they need Krispy Kremes
They need to be told that true religion isn't found in jeans
And that food stamps doesn't have to be in their wildest dreams

They can be happy free of hate, guilt and diabeetus
By accepting our message they've needed since a fetus

Together we wanna baptize but sometimes it's about planting the seeds.
Putting in the work to pick out the flowers from the weeds
But once we do they can have a reason for righteous pride
It's through the atonement of Jesus Christ that your sins will hide.


"What you know about dat?"

No comments:

Post a Comment