Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Making it Facebook Official

Dear Lovely Deserets,

This week has been good. You know. Just your normal week being a missionary, trying to change people’s lives and stuff. Nothing too cool. Sike! It's the coolest. I think it's finally starting to hit me that I am a missionary now. (Is that bad, considering I have been a missionary for almost 3 months)?

This last week, I have been cleaning up my Facebook account trying to get it ready for online proselyting. I apologize, but I had to go through and unlike and delete a bunch of comments and pictures so if you got offended that I don't like anything of yours now, I'm sorry, but I had to. It's just the way it has to be. Also, with Facebook, not like I'm going to be that guy that asks for pity likes on his statuses and stuff like that but as missionaries we are trying to reach as many people as possible. So don't feel like you have to pity "like" anything but if you really do like a status that I post, please like/comment/share in abundance.

Last P-day we went to Manhattan! Swerve. We were able to go to the temple which is always fun. After that, we checked out Grand Central Station. That place is cool, I can only think of the movie Madagascar when I'm there.


At the Manhattan temple with Elder Reynolds.


On Monday I went on a split with Elder Ross. He is from Wyoming. He is being trained too and we were in his area so neither of us had any clue where we were going. Then it started pouring rain relentlessly. The one day I chose to wear my jacket without a hood… and since we were on a split it wasn't like I could go home and get my other jacket. It was a trial, I think I endured it well.

The day of the rainy split with Elder Ross. #SplitSelfie

The relentless rain made make me think of Noah's Ark. It felt like The Bronx was going to flood just like in Noah's day. It would be easier on Noah if he was from The Bronx because after he built the Ark, instead of collecting tons of animals, he would just have to round up 2 stray cats, 2 pigeons, 2 rats, and 2 cockroaches and he could have called it good!

On Monday during the split with Elder Ross before the rain happened we were walking around South Bronx. They live down by Yankee Stadium and it was game day! We saw multitudes of  fans walking past us, laughing and having a jolly time. The ticket scalpers were trying to sell us tickets and help us with directions because we probably looked lost and out of place. Yankee Stadium, on game day, it was pretty cool to see.


 Yankee Stadium

Last, but definitely not least for my letter. General Conference was this last weekend! I hope that you all watched every single talk. If you didn't, I kindly but strongly urge you to go back and listen to or read them. My favorite talks were Elder Eyring’s during priesthood session. He talked about heroes that he had and how regardless if we are aware of it or not, we mirror how our heroes act. What kind of example are we going to set for others?

My other favorite was Elder Uchtdorf's during the Sunday morning session. How the thing that we can do to make life sweeter is to be grateful. Regardless of our circumstances, we need to be grateful. We need to see gratitude as a way of life that stands independent of our current situation.

General conference was the best! I am surer now, than I have ever been in my life, that Jesus is the Christ and that we have a true prophet, Thomas S. Monson, who receives revelation for us.

-Elder Tyler J Johanson


No comments:

Post a Comment